This blog is to help record Jen and Steve's process of adopting from Ethiopia.

Friday, July 28, 2006

We leave today

Seriously, we leave today. I am constantly asked how I feel about this trip. The truth is I don't really know. I know our lives will be altered radically and permanently but I don't know how. So I guess I am nervous, excited, consumed with the details of the trip, dreading the actual flight, etc. I will be happy when we are home with our baby and reunited as a family.

A piece of advice I got from a woman who has adopted two brothers from Ethiopia was to really be in the moment. She said that this trip is like your wedding day-everything is momentous- and that we should really try to soak it up and enjoy it. That's good advice. It is certainly not how I acted on my wedding day where I was so worried about the next item on the "to-do" list I couldn't think about anything else, like I don't know, enjoying friends, family and my new husband. Being in the moment is not my strong suit, but I hope I can change that on this trip. It certainly helps that once we are in Ethiopia all decisions are made for us: meals, trips, appointments.

We will post as often as we can. We probably won'tbe able to post for the first two days we are in Ethiopia because we leave to visit the birth family the morning after our arrival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home