Day 4, Part 2
We moved into the master bedroom en suite after Veda and her Mom moved to the Sheraton. The Sheraton is the fanciest hotel here in Addis -- really lovely. (The Hilton, by contrast, is a little shabbier, but has more restaurants and shops and it is about 1/3 cheaper.)
We had Abera sleep with us for the first time. The nannies brought in a crib, but we kept him in bed with us. That was a huge mistake. He is just like his sister; he squirms and talks and wiggles all night. A very active sleeper. So once again, I didn't get much sleep. Also there are stray dogs all over Addis and they bark and howl all night!
The next morning I had had it. The day before we had stopped at the Hilton because there are airlines offices here so we could reconfirm our tickets. I had stopped at the front desk and asked if they had availability. They did, and I decided we needed to move.
It was a great decision. We have a decent-sized corner room on the Executive Floor so we have snacks and drinks available to us all day. The view of Addis is amazing, though we can still hear the barking dogs on the 12th floor! Abera is in a gorgeous little crib. I hate to be all spoiled American but it was great to order room service, extra pillows and towels and have the front desk arrange a car to take me to the airport to pick up a piece of luggage that didn't arrive with us.
Actually, I don't hate to be all "spoiled American" that much.
This morning we went to the Dutch embassy to get a transit visa. We waited outside in the rain with the kids (another family went with us). They only allow three people inside at a time, which is absurd because there is a big indoor waiting room. We were missing two key documents for the transit visa but it seems like they are processing the visa anyway and we can bring the documents with us when we go to pick up the passports and visas on Friday.
We are going to try to plan a fun weekend -- shopping or museums or something, since we can't come home early. Abera loves new things and places and is a dream to travel with (ask me again after our trip home). The only time he cries is when he wants to be fed and during bath time. He seems very afraid of water, and screamed when I washed his hair last night.
Sorry this is a little disjointed. I need a nap!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home